Our medical program treats patients with diabetes, high blood pressure, scabies, ear infections, and those needing prenatal care, well-child visits, and patients with minor injuries such as burns, plus many other treatments.
During our medical clinics, an American surgical volunteer performs surgery at a nearby hospital, with the help of Haitian medical staff.
FOTCOH provides education and care for malnourished children through our Medika Mamba program.
Our WASH program teaches the importance of safe and healthy sanitation and hygiene practices as well as distributes water filters to provide clean water to the Haitian community.
Our Dental Program ensures that Haitians have access to dental support. A few times a year, dentists and dental technicians travel to Haiti with our medical teams to provide for patients in need.
The patient population that FOTCOH serves would be unable to obtain medical care elsewhere if FOTCOH’s program was not funded and would suffer the same high mortality rate and short life expectancy that is pervasive in Haiti.
- Haiti is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere
- Most Haitian parents cannot afford to feed or clothe their children or afford to send them to school, let alone seek medical care for injuries or illnesses
- A vast majority of Haitians are living below the poverty line, existing on less than $2 a day.
- 1 in 5 children are born with a low-birth-weight
- 60% of Haitians lack access to basic healthcare services
- The lack of access to clean water and sanitation, as well as lack of adequate food and access to basic healthcare, claims most lives in Haiti
- Malnutrition is the underlying cause of death for many children in Haiti
You can help changes the lives of Haitians.
Become a FOTCOH Volunteer
Volunteers first join Friends of the Children of Haiti to offer their services, whether medical or non-medical, to people in dire need. Team volunteers work side-by-side with experienced FOTCOH personnel, treating people who otherwise will go without any medical attention. All volunteers return home with a sense of experience and satisfaction unmatched in other endeavors.
Find out more about our volunteer opportunities today!