Inside the 6,000-square-foot building, the main floor consists of 11 rooms, including exams, plus a pharmacy. The second story offers a kitchen and dining room, plus two bathrooms, four open sleeping rooms and access to a deck overlooking the sea. The top floor includes an open sleeping area, living room, and an additional bathroom.
Our Medical Program provides life-saving support to over 15,000 Haitian patients a year which is run by both American volunteers and Haitian doctors and nurses.
Our Dental Program ensures that Haitians have access to dental support. A few times a year, dentists and dental technicians travel to Haiti with our medical teams to provide for patients in need.
Our Surgical Program provides surgery for Haitian patients. During our medical clinics, an American surgical volunteer performs surgery at a nearby hospital, with the help of Haitian medical staff.
Our Nutrition Program provides much-needed support for malnourished children through our Medika Mamba program.
The patient population that FOTCOH serves would be unable to obtain medical care elsewhere if FOTCOH’s program was not funded and would suffer the same high mortality rate and short life expectancy that is pervasive in Haiti.
- Haiti is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere
- Most Haitian parents cannot afford to feed or clothe their children or afford to send them to school, let alone seek medical care for injuries or illnesses
- A vast majority of Haitians are living below the poverty line, existing on less than $2 a day.
- 1 in 5 children are born with a low-birth-weight
- 60% of Haitians lack access to basic healthcare services
- The lack of access to clean water and sanitation, as well as lack of adequate food and access to basic healthcare, claims most lives in Haiti
- Malnutrition is the underlying cause of death for many children in Haiti
You can help changes the lives of Haitians.
Become a FOTCOH Volunteer
Volunteers first join Friends of the Children of Haiti to offer their services, whether medical or non-medical, to people in dire need. Team volunteers work side-by-side with experienced FOTCOH personnel, treating people who otherwise will go without any medical attention. All volunteers return home with a sense of experience and satisfaction unmatched in other endeavors.
Find out more about our volunteer opportunities today!